Kozu Island Getaway!

The hospitality of the Japanese people is a bit strange.  It's in some ways it is very superficial.  A person will be very friendly and agree to everything you say, only to actually not like you and disagree with everything you said.  It's a culture where there is an 'expected' level of politeness, and it makes it extremely difficult to get to know Japanese people, especially if you can't speak the language.  Being in a small town, it's been difficult to find people that speak english, let alone around my age.  So I've had to outsource.  I've joined a gaijin (foreigner) group based in Tokyo.  They're a snow club but during the rest of the year they do other random outdoor/exploration stuff.

This weekend was the first activity I joined in on.  We basically caught an overnight ferry to one of the islands way off Tokyo.  Pictures will inevitably explain the island more than words will so I'll  stop typing soon, but it's worth mentioning that I met some cool people! I met a graphic designer so I got to ask some questions about my career direction, got some new contacts in Tokyo to visit, and by pure chance, met an American guy who works at the Naval base here in Gotemba! He is in the same position where there was nothing to do in Gotemba so joined the Tokyo Snow Club!

I've sort of hesitated to join 'Gaijin' clubs as of yet, as I really wanted to try make it work with some Japanese people.  I don't know if I have 'failed' in that goal, but merely just met unexpected obstacles in cultural and language barriers along with a town non-conducive to it.  In hindsight I probably could have joined something like this a bit earlier, but no regrets.  If anything, it just highlights to me how that each decision you make is inevitably right for the time that you make it.  Things may change, and you just need to make new decisions as they do.

Enjoy the pics!