My first week as an English Teacher in Japan

I decided to teach in Japan only 1 year ago.  Isn't that crazy?  In that time I've learnt and done a hell of a lot.  This week, all that preparation and planning all cummulated into the finale: being an english teacher at a Japanese school!  Was it worth it? Hell yes!
Even if it all heads south from here (which is very unlikely) there will be no regrets.

I didn't actually need to do anything until English classes on Thursday.  So I spent a lot of time studying Japanese and poring through the english text books.  Sometimes I strolled around the school with another teacher to wave at students and say hello to everyone passing in the corridors  Since they haven't been introduced to me yet they're usually surprised by my sudden appearance.  Their eyes usually widen and they  clumsily say "hello" before running off giggling with all their friends - haha it's a blast!

I teach at my school Junior High School years 1 2 and 3.  This equates to roughly grade 6,7,8 I think.
The grade 1's are still very small and some could almost past for elementary grades, while the third year often seem very subdued and entering into the dark, lifeless chasm that is adulthood haha.

This placement has me working in conjunction with the Japanese English teacher.  They prepare the actual lesson, and might get me to prepare a game or something to solidify the newly taught content.  For my intro lessons it was basically me doing a 5-10 minute intro with a bunch of flash cards introducing myself and Australia ("In Australia people eat kangaroo!" Always gets a response!).  While the students had to try & listen & get points if they got things right (where am I from? etc).

If I had doubts of me being an actual teacher, they quickly went after the first lesson.  Standing up in front of 30 odd students and making something fun to learn is an absolute blast.  Whether it's just getting them to repeat some words after you in a funny voice, or getting someone to call out an answer for five points, it's really fun.  I think I did well, changing the lesson on the fly as things didn't work and other things did.  I think I can do this guys! Lets hope it stays this fun!
Anyways, in summary - my first week at a Japanese school was a positive one.  It basically validated all my preparation and decisions to come here and give this a go.  




Morning walk to the train station takes me 4 minutes but isn't so bad.  Each morning there is a different view to see as the clouds are always doing something different.  I'm waiting for it to look like it's erupting before I take another photo :-P



School lunches are $3, come out to your classroom (or staff room) on a trolley and you just pick one up, say 'itadakimasu' and chow down.  Some days they're amazing like this ^ with fish tempura, a pork clutlet and a bunch of salads.



Other days, they're less extravagant.  With a surprisingly delicious chunky beef soup and chicket fillet.