Matsumoto

Matsumoto was only about an hr from Nagano so it made sense to go this direction in my onward journey.  It's basically home to an old castle which is rare in the fact that it is an original rather than a reconstruction.  This, and the town itself donning quite a bit of old architecture and atmosphere.

I arrived to my booked hostel to find out that it actually was closed for renovations.  They did send me an email but it had gone to my junk mail so I was a little bit worried for a moment.  The electricians at the place were kind enough to drop me back to the train station where I could speak to the info centre.  They then organized a new hostel for me which was a newly opened old Japanese home/hostel right next to the castle.  Still in a little bit of renovation phase but still beautiful and comfortable.  Since it was in renos they only charged $15 a night which was an awesome bonus! So lucky :-D
Japanese people can be so incredibly kind once they accommodate you.  Maybe not as instantaneously and openly friendly as say, for example the Indian cultural stereotype, but something much more reserved and tempered with social etiquette and warmth rather than parade.