Tokyo - Asakusa & Technology Haven

Lonely Planet has been letting me down with Tokyo. There's so much to cover that they sell another book just for the city. And well, my whole-country-inclusive version just doesn't give much in the way of suggestions. So I resorted to online guides and one of the best websites is Japan-guide. Its soo good for everything. Gives you transportation details, its accurate, it gives good opinions and suggestions.

For Tokyo it also gives some suggestions on what itineraries to take. I took one of the day tours which takes me from my hostel's area in the North East, down on a river boat cruise to an island near the southern CBD area.


Asakusa in NE Tokyo has another big temple. I went at night to allow a sleepin the next day



Area near my hostel has the new Skytree (highest building/tower now in tokyo), and the Asahi beer flame building.



Street near the temple again selling everything.  I had a really yummy deepfried custard cream puff thingy.


Boat tour took one of these along the river.


Some skyline of offices & residential



Tokyo is big, so it is home to the big things.  Here was the entrance to Legoland.  Was designed for kids only so I couldnt go check it out.


I did go to the SEGA building.  Lots of cool rides & technology fun things.



Lots of interactive displays.  When standing still I was made out of marbles & particles, which shattered and bounced back when I moved.



SONIC!



Another interactive display on a wall as you were walking they followed you.



Interactive display hahahahaha.



Also on the island the great Gundam robot standing guard to a shopping centre.  Why? No idea.  Cool? Hell yes!



Such a bad ass.



Went to Miraikan which is the new/emerging sciences museum for Tokyo.  It basically houses any of the current day technology in interactive ways & explains things really logically.  My favourite museum I love this kind of stuff.  This was a giant globe 3D screen displaying the earth with various weather patterns



Robots which had a conversation which you could take part in, and they were programmed to nod and 'hmm' their agreement/disagreement correctly.  Kinda creepy but new research haha.





This demonstration got you to press a button to watch how much a file can be compressed (eg. a .zip file)  It explains quite complicated things in a very cool understandable way.



I got to see the famous Asimo robot! (Honda robot).  So lucky this thing is amazing piece of technology!



Cute little guy! He can run, he can walk, climb stairs, kick a soccerball, dance,  He's very fluid with his movements.  Basically they're researching trying to get a humanoid robot functioning close as possible to human movement.  The slide show interestingly had lots of promotion for robots-in-the-home.  In 50 years I could see it happening in Japan.






Tele building.



There was some HUUUUGE Anime convention on at the Island.  Professionals dressed up and made up to look like famous anime/cartoon/comic characters right down to buttons on the costumes.  Professoinal photographers were there so I only got a couple of sneaky pics but it was cool to see! Soo so so Japanese.



View from the Odaiba Island.  It's literally a themepark island with lots of resort-stuff to do and see.  Madamme tusauds was there too but it was closed in winter so missed out.
This pic has the statue of liberty, the golden gate bridge, the eifel tower all in one pic lol.



I attempted a panorama.  Still new to it haha it didnt work very well.

Such a sick day.  Odabia is full of technology and advancement.  Japan is still the leader in my opinion.  Very cool to see it all at the source.  Haha not a very patriotic way to spend Australia Day but hope you all had a snag or two! :D