Setsubun!

Setsubun is the bean-throwing festival of the day of end of winter & beginning of spring.  Supposed to cleanse away evil sprits of the former year and keep them away for the year to come.  Falls on this day I think because of the Chinese new year and the proximity to lunar new year or something not too sure.

The main tradition was Mamemaki where famous celebrities throw roasted soybeans into big crowds and yell "demons out! luck in!" and in this case you go to a temple and you try to catch some.

Another one is where you eat makizushi sushi and eat it facing the compass direction for good luck that year!

I moved to a smaller more-quaint hostel today.  Only 13 ppl max in whole hostel!  Much nicer aesthetic and more of a chance to be with Japanese people.  One of the 4 employees wasn't busy so she took me & showed me some of the stuff & made some of the special sushi and shared it.  Soo cool.  Good hostel move I think.  My last one didn't even have a rule to have shoes-off.



Tokyo's geisha throwing some beans!



TV celebs, famous sports coaches, actors, all of whom I didn't know lol.  Still catching the beans was fun.  Reminds you of the time you tried to catch lollies when a float went by when you were a kid.



Groups of dances? Someone said they were Meiko or geisha-in-training but I don't think that was right.


Biiiiiig crowds, but everyone so polite haha



Walking home some of the girls who threw the beans (i think they were a famous performance group maybe?) they did a street puppet performance and small dance.  Cool to see.